Friday 24 January 2014

Pixies

Decided to do a post on one of the most influential Alt-Rock bands of all time, merely because I've decided to attend a festival know as "Field Day", which takes place in London, UK and these guys are headlining. If you haven't heard of these guys but you are a fan Alt-Rock, I have one very simple question for you; Have you been living in a cave? I jest, I hadn't heard of them until a few years ago and I've always enjoyed the genre.
The band originate from Boston, Massachusetts and formed in 1986. The band had a huge hiatus from 1993-2004 people were even questioning if the band would get back together because of a astronomical fall out between the lead singer and the bassist (If you're interested in the demise of the band and the reunion, there is a great documentary called: "loudQUIETloud", its a great watch; I thoroughly enjoyed it) and have been together since 2004 and have even released a couple of new EP's (I won't lie, there appears to be a lot of filler on the EP's to say they're each four tracks long. This really effects the overall quality of the EP's in a negative way)
The current band line-up is: Francis Black (lead Singer, rhythm guitar), Joey Santiago (Lead guitar), David Lovering (Drums) and Paz Lenchantin (Bass). The latter has joined the band for their 2014 world tour. The original bassist was a quintessential member of the band, her name was Kim Deal she left the band in 2013 and was replaced by Kim Shattuck; who was thrown out of the band for crowd-surfing during a gig, -_- because "It's not something the Pixies do"
Despite all the negativity in the previous paragraphs, Pixies are know one of my all time favourite bands; I will now list a few reasons that provide reason for this opinion: Black Francis' voice is so elegant and unique I just immediately fell in love with the band. Once I surpassed the Vocals I broke the band down musically, Kim(Deal) is a phenomenal talent, she is well known for producing moving basslines and silky backing vocals,( I was aware of this before I heard the band's music ) but I really didn't expect her to be as good as she is. The bassline on a track called 'Debaser' is other-worldly- so heavy so perfect. The song in fact is an actual masterpiece.
I could literally write about these guys all day, I have so much to say; the Pixies could be the first band I do a double post on! (If that's what my readers want, I shall deliver)
Anyway here is my favourite song... (Soundtrack off of a film called 'Fight Club')

Let me know what you think! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment