Thursday 23 January 2014

Major Lazer

I figured I have not covered a dance artist in a while so here I go... Dance music is still a massive part of my music taste.I may even listen to more now than I ever have done before which is no east feat. What I really like about Dance music is the sheer enjoyment you get out of listening to it, It is impossible to be listening to dance music and feel depressed simultaneously.
Major Lazer is a dance group that consists of three djs, the most famous of which is Diplo. They could be defined as a Electronic/ dancehall/ trap act with a slight reggae twinge. What makes this band stand out? (You may or not be thinking) well you can tell a lot of time has been dedicated to ensuring the right vocals have been selected for each song, as every song you will listen to the beat has phenomenal rap/ reggae/ chilled  vocals over the top. The beats themselves are out of this world and have been produced so well. Often enough the combination of these features results in another genre, this genre is known as 'Moombahton' (funny genre ayy?) in basic terms- it's a fusion of reggae and house music... (Yes, that is all) another feature of this genre is the tempo, the tempo is stripped back to 108-115 beats per minute (Which funnily enough is the same tempo as Reggaeton) and the music often features elements of Reggaeton percussion. Moombahton is more prominent in Major Lazer's second album, which was in fact the culmination of the genre.
Now, straying away from the technical side of it all... They have 2 albums both great. Could of seen them at Leeds Festival last year but didn't :( as the clashed with System Of A Down (Who are my second favourte band so I couldn't pass up on the opportunity of seeing them). Anyway, My favourite song is this...


Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment