Sunday 19 January 2014

Death Cab For Cutie

Well... here I am again. I don't want to bludgeon your brain (metaphorically of course) with any kind of sob story but yes- most nights I struggle to sleep. A lot of the time when this happens, I listen to what some people may call 'Emo' music... No, I don't listen to it to achieve an emotional equilibrium; I'm not emotionally challenged- (I'm generally a big ball of fun and laughter...)- The main reason I listen to this music is: I find it very relaxing and soothing and 'makes sense to me'- like the lyrics jump out of the speakers at me.

Anyway the first 'Emo' band I'm going to talk about is 'Death Cab For Cutie' (DCFC). DCFC are actually an alternative-rock band from Washington in the USofA! The band formed in 1997 and are still performing to this day with three of their original members (they have had three different drummers)
Like I stated in the first chunk of text- the music is just mellow and soothing. If you imagine the opposite of the loud heavy riffs Kerry King produces- then you are kinda imagining the music of DCFC. The Vocalist (Ben Gibbard) has a great  voice for this genre, effortless sounding almost in some of the slower songs- ; in fact, if I could get anyone to sing me a lullaby, it would be Ben from DCFC. In the more upbeat songs, he really shows off the quality and versatility of his vocals- which I adore.
The band are currently working on a new album (I hope/ think) which will be their 8th. There isn't one album I can fault. My top two albums are: Transatlanticism(2003) and Plans(2005), both albums are beautiful.  My favourite song features on Plans and this is it... (Last post of the night actually got lectures in 4 hours. Need Sleep)


Give it a listen anyway- tell me what you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment